SQL Server Documentation
THIS TOPIC APPLIES TO: SQL ServerAzure SQL DatabaseAzure SQL Data Warehouse Parallel Data Warehouse
SQL Server is a central part of the Microsoft data platform. SQL Server is an industry leader in operational database management systems (ODBMS). This documentation helps you install, configure, and use SQL Server on both Windows and Linux. The content includes end-to-end examples, code samples, and videos. For SQL Server language topics, see Language Reference.
|What's new||Release notes|
|What's New in SQL Server 2017||SQL Server 2017 Release Notes|
Try SQL Server!
- Download SQL Server for Windows
- Install SQL Server on Linux
- Download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Download SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
- Get a Virtual Machine with SQL Server
The Database Engine is the core service for storing, processing, and securing data. The Database Engine provides controlled access and rapid transaction processing to meet the requirements of the most demanding data consuming applications within your enterprise. The Database Engine also provides rich support for sustaining high availability.
Machine Learning Services
Microsoft Machine Learning Services supports integration of machine learning, using the popular R and Python languages, into enterprise workflows.
Machine Learning Services (In-Database) integrates R and Python with SQL Server, making it easy to build, retrain, and score models by calling stored procedures. Microsoft Machine Learning Server provides enterprise-scale support for R and Python, without requiring SQL Server.
Integration Services is a platform for building high performance data integration solutions, including packages that provide extract, transform, and load (ETL) processing for data warehousing.
Analysis Services is an analytical data platform and toolset for personal, team, and corporate business intelligence. Servers and client designers support traditional OLAP solutions, new tabular modeling solutions, as well as self-service analytics and collaboration using Power Pivot, Excel, and a SharePoint Server environment. Analysis Services also includes Data Mining so that you can uncover the patterns and relationships hidden inside large volumes of data.
Reporting Services delivers enterprise, Web-enabled reporting functionality. You can create reports that draw content from a variety of data sources, publish reports in various formats, and centrally manage security and subscriptions.
Replication is a set of technologies for copying and distributing data and database objects from one database to another, and then synchronizing between databases to maintain consistency. By using replication, you can distribute data to different locations and to remote or mobile users by means of local and wide area networks, dial-up connections, wireless connections, and the Internet.
Data Quality Services
SQL Server Data Quality Services (DQS) provides you with a knowledge-driven data cleansing solution. DQS enables you to build a knowledge base, and then use that knowledge base to perform data correction and deduplication on your data, using both computer-assisted and interactive means. You can use cloud-based reference data services, and you can build a data management solution that integrates DQS with SQL Server Integration Services and Master Data Services.
Master Data Services
Master Data Services is the SQL Server solution for master data management. A solution built on Master Data Services helps ensure that reporting and analysis is based on the right information. Using Master Data Services, you create a central repository for your master data and maintain an auditable, securable record of that data as it changes over time.
- Import and Export Data with the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard
- Migrate data to SQL Server on Linux
- Migrate your SQL Server database to Azure SQL Database
- Microsoft Data Migration Assistant
- Import data from Excel to SQL Server or SQL Database
- SQL Server Update Center links and information for all supported versions
- Wide World Importers sample database
- AdventureWorks sample databases and scripts for SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server samples on GitHub
- UserVoice - Suggestion to improve SQL Server?
- Setup and Upgrade - MSDN Forum
- SQL Server Data Tools - MSDN forum
- Transact-SQL - MSDN forum
- DBA Stack Exchange (tag sql-server) - ask SQL Server questions
- Stack Overflow (tag sql-server) - also has some answers about SQL development
- Reddit - general discussion about SQL Server
- Microsoft SQL Server License Terms and Information
- Support options for business users
- Contact Microsoft